Respondus LockDown has a built-in function to record students while they take their tests which instructors can review afterward. (See: Respondus Monitor.) For those instructors who wish to monitor students live during an test while still utilizing the LockDown Browser, it is possible to have an active Zoom meeting during the test.
There are two initial steps that should be completed before moving on:
- Schedule a Zoom meeting at endicott.zoom.us.
- Have a Respondus LockDown enabled test in your course.
NOTE: Do NOT enable Monitor in the Respondus settings.
Part 1 – Add an exception for Zoom in Respondus
In order for students to access the Zoom meeting while in the LockDown Browser, an exception needs to be added in the Respondus settings for the test.
- Go to Course Tools and select Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Click the menu button next to the test and choose Settings.
- Locate the Advanced Settings option and click the plus symbol to expand the menu.
- Check the box for the option labeled Allow access to specific external web domains.
- In the box provided, enter endicott.zoom.us.
6. Click the Save + Close button at the top
Part 2 – Modify and Post the Meeting Link
To avoid errors, it is necessary to modify the meeting link slightly to ensure it launches in the browser instead of trying to open the Zoom app. Every Zoom meeting link has a letter j in the middle. That needs to be replaced with wc/join to force it to launch in the browser.
- Original – https://endicott.zoom.us/j/12345678987
- Modified – https://endicott.zoom.us/wc/join/12345678987
Next, post the modified link in the test instructions.
- Go to where the test is located in the course.
- Click the menu button next to the name of the test and choose Edit the Test.
- At the top of the page, click the menu button to the right of the test name and choose Edit.
- Paste the modified link into the Instructions text box.
5. Highlight the link text and click the Insert/Edit Link button on the toolbar.
6. In the box that opens, paste the link in the Link Path field at the top.
7. Set the Target to Open in New Window (_blank).
8. Click the Insert button in the bottom right.
9. Click Submit
When the students begin the test, the Zoom meeting link will be accessible at the top of the test page.